There are many ways you can help the Friends of the Burlington County Animal Shelter, including walking dogs, playing with cats, grooming the animals, posting pictures and bios of the animals online, fundraising, planning events, and, of course, donating money.
If you have questions about volunteering, please email the volunteer manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: to interact with the shelter animals, volunteers must be 18 or older. For information on how younger people can volunteer, visit the How Kids Can Help page.
How to become a Friends of BCAS volunteer
Becoming a volunteer who is able to interact with the shelter animals is a three-step process.
Step One: Fill Out a Volunteer Application
Once the information from your application has been entered into Volgistics, the system we use to manage volunteer classes and hours, you will be sent a welcome email with further instructions. (If you do not receive a welcome email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam filter).
Step Two: Attend a General Orientation Class
Before you can volunteer with the Friends of the Burlington County Animal Shelter, you must attend a general orientation class. We offer general orientation classes in two locations: at the Burlington County Library and at the Burlington County Animal Shelter. The class at the shelter has limited spaces available.
Class dates for both locations are listed so you can choose the location/date that works best for you. To register, scroll down to the orientation date you want to attend, check the Sign-Up box and click the Submit and Sign Up button at the bottom of the screen. You will then be taken to another screen where you will fill in your information and then click the Sign Up Now button. In the class, you'll learn about many volunteer opportunities, including walking dogs, playing with cats, photography, grooming, fostering and more.
Step Three: Sign Up for an Animal Handling Class
After you've attended a general orientation class, you can sign up for dog or cat handling classes.
To sign up for animal handling classes:
- Log in to the Volunteer Information Center, known as Volgistics.
- Your log-in name is your email address
- Use the password you entered on your Friends of BCAS volunteer application or click "Forget your password?"
- Click the My Schedule tab to view the calendar.
- Click on the drop-down menu under Show Openings in:
- Select the class you want to sing up for from the drop-down list
- Click on a Help Wanted sign on the day you can attend a class.
- If there are no Help Wanted signs, it means all upcoming classes are full.
- Click on the green Schedule Me button to register for the class.
- If the Schedule Me button is missing, the class is either full or it is an advanced class that you do not meet the requirements to attend yet. The best time to look for an available class is within the first week of each month. You must sign up on the Volgistics calendar for all classes.
If you have questions about signing up for classes in Volgistics, please email the volunteer manager at email@example.com.