Friends Of BCAS - Adoptions & Newsletter [7/19/12]
Hello, fellow Friends of BCAS volunteers!
Please spare a moment to read the following announcements:
THESE DOGS ARE NOW URGENT AND MUST LEAVE THE SHELTER BY THE 1ST OF AUGUST!
If you can't adopt but are interested in fostering, please email Penny at
These dogs have all been at the shelter for between 5 and 10 MONTHS due to some behavioral issues that make them difficult to adopt out, but all of these dogs ARE good, happy, adoptable dogs so long as THE RIGHT HOME can be found!
(Alexis and Gennie were also Urgent, but Alexis is being transported to Tennessee and Gennie has been rescued to become a bedbug sniffer!)
• TRANSPORTING ALEXIS TO SAFETY: Animal Attendants Mindy and Mark are transporting Alexis (the big Fila Brasiliero in Yellow that many of you have become familiar with) to an experienced dog trainer in Tennessee. They're paying for the trip out of pocket, so if anybody would like to donate for gas money, please email Mindy at
. Their goal is to reach $200 to cover basic travel expenses. Unused donations will be re-donated to a local animal rescue. ABOUT ALEXIS: Because of her breed, Alexis very much does NOT like strangers and thus can't be adopted through our shelter, but she's incredibly sweet and loving to those she trusts, so we're glad somebody has finally been found to rescue her!
• EASY FUNDRAISING! HELP US OUT! Friends of BCAS' primary form of fundraising -- and a very profitable one at that -- is donation boxes, and we just got a new shipment in! We're looking for people to take a donation box or two to place at a local store and take care of for us. These donation boxes are where we get most of our money to help pay for our attending of events like the upcoming Dog Days of Summer, they pay for our leashes, our office supplies, everything, so we could really use your help here. Email Terry at
• HELP WITH DOG DAYS EVENT SETUP: We could still use some volunteers to help out for the Dog Days event coming up on Saturday, 7/28, especially to help set up. For anybody who can come out to the shelter around 9 AM, please contact Penny at
• ANYBODY HAVE A BIG CANOPY/TENT WE COULD BORROW? We're looking for a canopy or a tent we can use for the Dog Days event on 7/28. It's likely to be very hot that day, and we'd rather not be cooking in the sun if at all possible!Email Penny at
if you can offer your gear up for the day.
• PEOPLE & PUPS SUMMERTIME BLOOD DRIVE: Come volunteer your dog and yourself to donate blood! Just like human blood drives, these life-saving donations help other dogs who need surgery and other medical treatment. Canine donors also get a free bag of dog food, and are eligible to receive free blood should they ever need it. You can find information about the upcoming blood drives, eligibility, what's involved, and why donations are needed on BurlCo's Pet Aid site: http://www.burlingtoncountypetaid.org/blooddrives.html.
• YELLOW DOG HANDLING CLASS: Animal Advocate John will be holding his next Yellow Dog Handling Class on Thursday, August 2nd at 6 PM. (Held regularly every other week). "Green"-level dog walkers, come learn about handling potentially difficult dogs and become approved to walk Yellow-rated shelter dogs!
• CAT PROGRAM SUSPENSION UPDATE - WEEK 4: The temporary suspension of the cat program due to the spread of feline Upper Respiratory Infections is continuing into its 4th week. We -may- be seeing a very slight reduction in the number of sick cats lately, but not enough for the shelter to feel confident about lifting the suspension yet.
• TO CRAIGSLIST POSTERS: To the folks who post BCAS pets on Craigslist and other such public forums, please read: http://www.scribd.com/doc/100561500/Friends-of-BCAS-Pet-Advertising-Guidelines. Basically, we're pleased to have folks trying to get our shelter's animals adopted, but there are a few guidelines you should be aware of (if you're not already) if you'd like to maximize your efforts without overburdening the shelter's office staff. Remember Lazlo the adorable Vizsla dog? He had ten applications at one point and calls were still coming in, in part because he was actually being over-advertised (he's still on Craigslist now even though he was adopted last week). If anybody's got any questions about this, please feel free to email me at
• VOTE FOR OUR SHELTER: The Animal Rescue Site is giving away thousands of dollars in grants to shelters with the highest votes here: http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/shelterchallenge.faces?siteId=3 - Help us have a chance to win the grand prize of a $5000.00 grant by clicking the link, searching for Burlington County Animal Shelter, and voting for us once every day until the contest ends Sept. 16th!
Happy Tails! - Adoption Updates
• Niko the deaf kitty cat: Niko's owner left us a comment and a pic on our Facebook page! "Niko, adopted August 2011, does not let her deafness get in the way, and has complete control over the other pets in the house! :)"
• Lily the pup's adopters have this to say about her: "We adopted Lilly back in June '10. I've been trying to get a more recent picture of the 2 of them together since my son's 20 months now but they won't hold still. Best friends."
• • • ADOPT US! • • •
Please spread the word about these awesome pets who deserve a happy home!
C-47355 Austin | D-47758 Bernita | C-47546 Darling | D-47893 BoBo
Click the link below and search by ID for more info:
...Thank you! And now, without further ado...
Some of the wonderful animals adopted this week:
*** ADOPTED Purrfect Perks Kitties! ***
(rescued by BCAA, currently in a foster home after 2 months at the shelter)
C-47704 Sherza, C-47905 Leggy, C-48118 Cherry, C-48128 Patches (rescued by BCAA)
C-48358 Jelly, C-48448 Fluffy, C-48547 Puff Daddy, C-48554 Alexie
C-48564 Hope (rescued by BCAA)
*** ADOPTED Pooches with Perks! ***
D-44528 Kiera (adopted after NINE months!), D-45058 Gotti (got taken back by his original owner after NINE months!), D-47071 Dog (rescued by BCAA after 4 months)
D-48197 Gennie, D-48393 Magee, D-48420 Blockhead (rescued by BCAA), D-48505 Robbie
D-48664 Mia, D-48683 Skipper, D-48750 Daphne, D-48796 Lazlo
D-48812 Dodger, D-48897 Coco & D-48898 Yum Yum, D-48925 Conan O'Boy
We love new volunteers, and so do the shelter kitties and doggies! Learn more about us here: FriendsofBCAS.org