Hello, fellow Friends of BCAS volunteers!
• DOG WALKER ALERT: Please be cautious while walking your dogs, as a groundhog has taken up residency beneath the sheds behind the shelter. He doesn't seem to be overly fearful off dogs, so make sure you have a good hold of your pup when you're around the sheds.
• VOLUNTEERS ASSISTING CUSTOMERS: We know that sometimes the shelter staff can get very busy and that there are times where customers are lining up to be helped. Sometimes customers can be accidentally overlooked, however, and this can lead to unhappy experiences and lost adoptions. Volunteers, if you are aware of a potential adopter or other visitor/customer who has been waiting for a long timefor assistance (20 minutes or more), please politely ask at the front desk to speak with an employee in charge, such as a shift supervisor, an Animal Advocate, or the manager, and bring this customer's needs to their attention.
• FREE MICROCHIP REGISTRY: Here's a great resource for owners of pets who have been microchipped. This is a free microchip registry offered by a non-profit organization. Many official registries offered by manufacturers of the microchips are subscription-based or require a fee, so this is a great opportunity to make sure your pet's chip is effective in a way that costs you nothing! http://www.found.org/?utm_source=hsus&;utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=microchip-month-6-9-13 (Each microchip has a unique ID number that is detected when the chip is scanned. This ID number refers to information stored in remote databases such as this one. If your chip's not registered somewhere, it's 100% useless!)
• BOSCO MEMORIAL TREE: Bosco, a long-term and beloved canine resident of BCAS, was peacefully put to sleep a few weeks ago due to chronic health issues. Volunteer Dee Curry took the initiative to have Bosco cremated and a memorial plaque placed behind the shelter in the shade of a pine tree. A huge thank you to Dee for making this memorial happen, and to the other volunteers who supported the effort, financially or otherwise. We may also be able to use this area to place markers of remembrance for other dearly departed shelter pets.
• FELINE AIDS: Ever wonder about FIV+ cats? Are they really safe, and should people consider adopting them? (Hint: The answer is yes!) Check out this article on FIV+ cats written by a vet to learn a little more about Feline AIDS: http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/why-this-vet-thinks-fiv-positive-cats-make-great-adoptees
Happy Tails - Adoption Updates
• Dusty the gray and white tabby boy was adopted a couple of years ago. Dusty was known as Tubby at the shelter, and he was petrified! He sat in the shelter for months and months before BCAA took him, renamed him "William" and eventually adopted him out to a family who then named him Dusty. Dusty seems pretty happy in his new home. Looks like he's made some new friends too!
• Tucker the shorthaired tuxedo kitty was adopted a couple of years ago, but I'll always remember him because he was known to all the volunteers as a crazy kitty! He was definitely frustrated in his cage, and would play very roughly and generally act like a spaz, and I was afraid he wouldn't get adopted. The family of a volunteer decided they loved him though, and he's turned out wonderfully. They say, "He's an amazing cat, he's patient, calm & affectionate. He loves kids; even when they're rowdy it doesn't faze him. He always climbs into the tub when the adopter's grandson takes a bath, he absolutely loves kids - so cute."
• Abby the gorgeous siamese mix was adopted earlier this year. Here's a note from her adopters! "Here's Abby's picture. She's a great addition to our family. She and Bella, our 3 year old shepherd are getting along very well. Thank you for all you do to help a stray like Abby become a treasured pet."
Adopted Pets This Week!
Visit our website to learn more about our Pets with Perks programs:
C-52532 Elijah (BCAA), C-52586 Gia (BCAA), C-53343 Fred
D-51532 Nova, D-51942 Tex, D-52544 Sham
C-52839 Bella, C-52845 Dexter (BCAA), C-52972 Fiesta (BCAA), C-53170 Stitch
C-53224 Snow, C-53304 Moe (BCAA), C-53345 Frank (BCAA)
D-52601 Bella, D-53517 Blondie, D-53640 Mumbles, D-53672 Harley
D-53702 Cujo, D-53705 Red, D-53712 Cory, D-53826 June